Writing guest posts is the idea of submitting content to be published on another company’s blog and is one of the best ways to accomplish some important content marketing goals:
- Establish yourself as a thought leader (make a name for yourself) on sites that are frequented by your target market
- Extend your reach
- Get a valuable inbound link
- Increase your inbound traffic
Starting out can be tough as you need to have established yourself as a good writer before people will let you loose on their blogs/sites. For this reason you should focus on your own blog for the a while and ensure you are creating very valuable and high quality content. This is going to be your writing resume that will open doors in the future.
As you become a successful guest poster, it will be easier to gain access to the high profile blogs. If you’re an expert in a field of internet marketing then the YOUmoz blog concept is a great way to try and break into the guest posting arena. Reason being that the community will decide whether or not your content is valuable enough to be promoted to the main SEOmoz blog. This bypasses the often time consuming editorial processes that exist on many sites.
Guest post tip
Two things you absolutely MUST do if you’re going to succeed with guest posts are:
- Write your very best content (don’t just hack together an unremarkable or unoriginal idea)
- Actively engage with the community in the comments – this is often where your post will really come to life as you’ll be addressing the questions of your readers and it shows that you care enough to stick around “after the show” to engage with people.
Analogously, guest posting is sort of like the collaboration in a music video – where you see “featuring<insert your name>” in the title. You achieve credibility by association which brings brand exposure and recognition to your name. Think of it as a marketing wingman who has a VIP backstage pass to your target audience.